Next Generation Technologies Sr Leader
Headquarters: Mount Olive, NJ
A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there’s more to being in business than just making a profit. That’s the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it’s never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It’s about how you can grab everything that’s within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It’s about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we’ll all be a little better off. It’s that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
Mars has net sales of more than $33 billion, operates six business segments including Petcare, Chocolate, Wrigley, Food, Drinks, Symbioscience, and more than 75,000 Associates worldwide that are putting its Principles into action to make a difference for people and the planet through its performance.
Mars brands include: Petcare – PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, BANFIELD® Pet Hospital, CESAR®, SHEBA®, DREAMIES® and NUTRO®; Chocolate – M&M’S®, SNICKERS®, DOVE®, GALAXY®, MARS®, MILKY WAY® and TWIX®; Wrigley – DOUBLEMINT®, EXTRA®, ORBIT® and 5™ chewing gums, SKITTLES® and STARBURST® candies, and ALTOIDS® AND LIFESAVERS® mints. Food – UNCLE BEN’S®, DOLMIO®, EBLY®, MASTERFOODS®, SEEDS OF CHANGE® and ROYCO®; Drinks – ALTERRA COFFEE ROASTERS™, THE BRIGHT TEA COMPANY™, KLIX® and FLAVIA®; Symbioscience – COCOAVIA® and WISDOM PANEL®.
The combination of rapid technology innovation, changes in consumer preferences & behaviours that would have been unthinkable a mere decade ago, and the power and importance of data, have become disruptive forces to large incumbent businesses with established business models such as Mars. Currently within Mars there is no scalable team or function with the remit to explore next generation technologies such as blockchain, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, data lakes, the Internet of Things, chatbots, process automation, generative design, Augmented Reality/Mixed Reality/Virtual Reality, and the like.
This role will play a critical part in bringing into Mars these next generation technologies. It functions as a subject matter expert, bringing a depth of knowledge about these technologies and combining this with an understanding of Mars’ existing business needs, to find opportunities and problems that can only be solved by new-to-Mars (if not the world) applications of technology.
To find these problems the role partners across functions, segments, and geographies at Mars. It then ideates approaches and leads delivery while utilizing agile, design oriented, methods. It is also critical that this role maintains a strong external perspective so as to learn and stay up to date on technology.
- Partner with business users and find problems. Also drawing on the Digital Adoption team, MARI, Business Partners, etc.
- Be a subject matter expert across one or more areas such as AI/ML, IoT, Data Lakes, Blockchain, AR/VR, process automation, generative design, etc.
- Utilize expertise in these next technologies to solve these problems, creating beacon projects for the rest of Mars
- Drive solutions into the mainstream. Potentially by partnering with SFC or other scalable Mars IS constructs, or discovering common use cases across different parts of the organization and creating standardized approaches.
- Build platforms to lower the barriers to entry so more associates can participate, in effect, enabling the crowdsourcing of solutions.
- Utilizes resources such as the Digital Experience development teams for coding capacity
- Engagement, negotiation and influencing of internal stakeholders to establish priorities in line with the highest business impact.
- Ensures the key handoffs and interdependencies between MIS, 3rd party firms and business stakeholders to ensure successful value delivery, and ability to scale
Context and Scope
- The role operates across segments and functions, partnering with Mars IS and business stakeholders at all levels to govern and deliver beacon projects. It also partners with SMEs within Mars to find and ideate how to solve critical business problems.
- Be recognized as a subject matter expert both within Mars and externally, across one or more “Next” technologies, including but not limited to AI, ML, blockchain, IoT, chatbots, data lakes, generative design, AR/VR, process automation, etc.
- Builds a network of expertise and capability extending inside Mars (eg MARI, CMI, etc), and beyond to startups, thought leaders, academia, etc.
- Plays a critical role in iterative, agile projects that rapidly prove or disprove hypotheses and lead to value for Mars
- Develops platforms and standards that lower the barriers to entry, providing entry points for Next technologies for the rest of Mars, encouraging citizen developers
- Continually learns and improves own skill set, and then brings that knowledge into Mars, both upskilling other associates and finding ways to convert this knowledge into business value.
Education & Professional Qualification
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in business or IT discipline eg computer science, engineering, statistics, physics.
- Masters or post-graduate degrees a plus
- 10+ years’ experience in IT, with a focus on Digital and/or Innovation
- Proven experience to build strong working relationships with key stakeholders and understand their needs through design thinking.
- Demonstrated ability to leverage the application of machine learning, artificial intelligence, blockchain, advanced analytics & data lakes, chatbots, and AR/VR to solve for business needs.
- Ability to prioritize and deliver beacon projects with the highest impact to the business.
- Experience in working in a global environment across segments
Key Supporting Competencies
- Innovation Management
- Business Acumen
- Problem Solving
- Standing Alone
- Dealing with Ambiguity
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Nearest Major Market: New Jersey
Job Segment: Engineer, Computer Science, Engineering, Technology